Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Blanket of Fairy Dust

A blanket of shimmering fairy dust covers the morning's waters. This was one of my recent journal entries as I watched the sunrise over the lake at the cabin. It made me think how we need to stop and take a moment out of our busy lives to appreciate what surrounds us. The beauty of the North Woods that morning inspired me to write some free verse borrowing a line from the text of the picture book:Up North at the Cabin by Marsha Wilson Chall. The following is a work in progress
Up North at the cabin...
I am a wanderer
lost in my thoughts
planning, reflecting
gazing at still waters
which nourish my soul.

Up North at the cabin...
I am a dog's faithful companion
throwing, pitching, retrieving balls
much to the dog's delight.

Up North at the cabin...
I am a lover of beauty
early morning sunrises
moonlight nights
blazing campfires
restless dragonflies
and the call of the loon
searching for its mate.

Up North at the cabin...
a single moment captured
by a photo lens
stowed away
as a reminder
of days at the cabin Up North

I posted a picture of a recent sunrise
So might I suggest... sometime this week treat yourself
Grab your favorite beverage, some of my favorite blueberry coffeecake and watch a sunrise!
Carpe diem

Blueberry Coffeecake
Use a glass pan 8x8 greased
Crust
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup of old-fashioned oats (not quick)
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1TB cinnamon
  • 1 stick of chilled butter cut in small cubes
  • 3/4 cup of sliced almonds
Filling
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries or 12 oz frozen blueberries not thawed
  • 1 cup blueberry preserves
  • 1 TB flour 2 tsp grated lemon peel
Crust:In a bowl whisk oats, sugar,salt cinnamon. Add butter mixing in with fingertips until mixture sticks together. Reserve 2 cups of mixture for topping. Pat crumb mixture in pan. Bake 15 minutes until golden and firm to touch. Cool 10 minutes
Filling: Mix all ingredients in bowl and spread evenly over crust.
Topping: To reserve mixture add almonds and sprinkle over filling and bake about 30 minutes more.
Tips: If oat mixture seems too dry could add a little more butter
coffeecake is done when filling is bubbling and topping golden brown
To get a head start the crust/ topping mixture can be made a day ahead



1 comment:

  1. Lovely poem, Sue. I'm headed up north soon myself (my first time at a friend's newly-built cabin!) and can hardly wait. Perhaps I'll bake some of your coffecake while I'm there!

    ReplyDelete

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...