Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, October 30, 2009

Fickle October Weather

My journal/writer's notebook is a continual work in progress. It is a keeper of my thoughts, new ideas to think about, recording of memorable events and even some sad times. I have written down hopes, dreams and even my To Do List. I usually have several journals going at a time. Recently I was rereading some pages and came across a poem I had written, rather appropriate for today. I borrowed the first line I sit by the window from a poem called Wind Song by Mimi Brodsky for inspiration. This is my poem...
Rain
I sit by the window
and watch the raindrops fall.
DRIP DRIP
SPLASH SPLASH
Across my window pane.

I sit by the window
and wish the rain would stop.
Grey skies
rumbles of thunder
flashes of light
move across the sky.

Rain, rain
pools and puddles
I think I'll finish my book
and enjoy my inside day.

How true this is for me since I am reading furiously to finish the book Driftless by David Rhodes with book group meeting tomorrow.
The following recipe I make every year to serve on November 1.
Tombstone Brownies
Ingredients:
1 package brownie mix
1 6 oz. package chocolate chips
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 package candy orange mini pumpkins
3/4 cup coconut tinted green
black and grey sprinkles (baking section-look little pebbles)
plastic grave markers that say RIP Over The hill (baking section @Joan Etc. or Michaels
Directions:
  • Line a 13x9 baking pan with foil, extending foil beyond edges of the pan, grease foil
  • Prepare brownie according to direction, spread in pan and bake at 350 about 25 minutes
  • Cool pan on wire rack
  • Frost with prepared chocolate frosting or try this homemade frosting which is really yummy at end of this recipe
  • Starting at shorter end of pan space RIP markers three across and work way down pan making about 12-15 total rows
  • Sprinkle a little tinted green coconut in front of plastic marker
  • On top of coconut place a little pumpkin
  • Sprinkle grey/black sprinkles over whole pan
Fudge Frosting
  • In a medium saucepan combine butter or margarine with chocolate chips, sugar, milk and salt
  • Bring to a boil stirring constantly and simmer 3 minutes
  • Remove from heat and add powdered sugar and vanilla
  • Beat in saucepan till smooth may have to add a few TB of milk as needed
  • An added 3 TB. of Kahlua really heats up the flavor

1 comment:

  1. Your poem captures the essence of what it feels like to face another rainy day.

    ReplyDelete

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...