Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why Fairies Do Not Like Rainy Days

Fairy houses are cleverly concealed in the woods and built in more sheltered areas. I have heard that fairies prefer to be hidden away from inquisitive human eyes plus they do not like to get wet. I certainly was lucky last week to discover a fairy cottage in the woods by the lake as I was taking fall pictures. With all the rain we have had lately that might explain why I have not even caught a glimpse of a fairy. But I know for a fact they are out and about because I am missing more socks. Actually I now have four pairs of mismatched socks. If you go back to the blog dated: September 6 Determination and Hard Work Pay Off I had written seeing a few sock fairies hurrying along the road carrying bulging leather bags. I suspected those bags held socks. Perhaps these fairies were in a hurry to reach a brick building at the top of a hill. Could this building be some type of sock bank? What do you think this building could be?
I would like to take the time to answer some reader requests. One person would like to know which wines from the first blog I wrote in September would work with some of my recipes.
I would choose a red wine for the Chili recipe (Blog Oct. 2)
Cline Ancient Vine Mourvedie (Italian)
Chianto Classico Riservia (Italian)
Old Vine Red Lot Number 49 (California)
I would choose a white light wine for the Mango-Peach Chicken recipe (Blog Set.16)
Nobilio Sauvigon Blanc 2008 (Australian)
Zeller Schwarze Katz 9 (German)
Pinot Grigio Vento Incanto (Italian)
Another reader was looking for a pumpkin bread recipe. Since today seemed like a good day to bake I experimented with several recipes and will include my final result. But you might be interested to note that I changed a few ingredients from some of the bread recipes I looked at to make it more healthy. Example: Decreased sugar from 3 cups to 2, 3 1/2 cups white flour changed to half white and half whole wheat and cut 1 cup oil back to 3/4 cup and added 3/4 cup chunky cinnamon applesauce. My family really liked the recipe so let me know what you think.
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Bake at 350 45-50 minutes or when toothpick comes clean from center
Ingredients:
1 can (15oz) pumpkin puree
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup chunky cinnamon applesauce
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cup white flour
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice mix
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
2 cups raisins
grated carrots optional
Directions;
Grease and flour two loaf pans
Beat together puree, eggs, oil, applesauce, sugars, spices till well blended
In a separate bowl whisk flours, salt, baking soda
Stir dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture just till blended, stir in raisins and walnuts
ENJOY



2 comments:

  1. I suspect that rabbits are also on the list of things fairies dislike. My garden is teeming with the long-eared blossom-eating hoppers. I am sure this is the reason I have never seen a fairy near my home. I am wondering if you have any experience with rabbits and fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **Clapping hands with glee***

    Yay! Thanks for posting this pumpkin bread recipe, Sue!

    ReplyDelete

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...