Its only January but I seem to be ahead of the holiday season with valentine cookies.
Recipe makes 18 but depends on the size of the cookie cutter and how thin dough is rolled. Cooking tip: Make sure wax paper stays well floured while rolling dough out.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. each vanilla and almond extract
- Cream butter and sugar, blend in egg, water, vanilla and almond extract.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder.
- Beat butter mixture with flour mixture -use tour hands to knead dough if necessary.
- Wrap dough in wax paper and put in freezer for a 1/2 hour until slightly chilled.
- Roll dough out on floured surfaces using a cookie cutter for desired shapes. Be sure to dredge cookie cutter in flour.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cookies on baking pan.
- Bake 375 for 8 minutes or until slightly brown on bottom
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 TB melted butter
- 2 TB. Amaretto
- drops of red food coloring
- Beat ingredients until desired frosting consistency. Add more milk by tablespoons if needed.