Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Purple

Several blogs back on 11/29 I wrote a piece titled Writer's Notebook. I noted that keeping a writer's notebook has helped me a lot with my writing. It is one place where I can jot down my feelings about important little details I hear or see in daily life. I have multiple journals/notebooks going at the same time depending where I am. These little books are used as a gathering place for my ideas so perhaps at a later date I will be inspired to create a story or poem.
There is a color poem book called Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O'Neil. This small book has been a valuable writing and teaching tool for me. What I like best about the book is how each page has imaginative verses that explore the meaning of a color. Each page begins What is... and then names a color.
This week there are a lot of frenzied fans throughout the state who are gearing up for the big day.
All this purple talk has driven me to explore the color based on the free verse format of the book
What is Purple?
Purple is Viking pride
Jerseys
Painted faces
Painted heads
Wigs
Striped scarves
Headbands
Pompoms
Glasses
Hats
Undies
And even a bazillion beads.
Purple can be loud
Purple is a feeling
That fires us all up
Cheering the team
Games on
So sport your color
Purple is the show.
I would like to end this blog with the last page from Hailstone and Halibut Bones
The colors live
Between black and white
In a land that we
Know best by sight.
But knowing best
Isn't everything,
For colors dance
and colors sing,
And colors laugh
And colors cry-
Turn off the light
and colors die,
And they make you feel
Every feeling there is
From the grumpiest grump
To the fizziest fizz.
And you and you and I
Know well
each has a taste
And each has a smell
And each has a wonderful
Story to tell...
I am posting an alternative brunch recipe to a quiche
Wild Rice and Ham Tart
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 package pie crust (Pappy) in frozen pie crust section
  • 1 cup cooked cubed ham
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
  • 1/3 cup chopped red pepper
  • 1/3 cup green onions chopped
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 TB Dijon mustard
  • 3/4 cup half and half
  • 1 cup sour cream (lite)
  • 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 2 TB parsley flakes
  • Small package pecan halves
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms

Directions:

Crust

  • Use two balls of pie crust mix from box and roll into a circle. Save other dough balls in freezer
  • Press dough in 10 inch tart pan with removable bottom and up sides
  • Line dough in tart pan with foil by pressing it into dough and bake in preheated oven 400 for 10 minutes
  • Remove foil and bake 5 minutes longer do not prick crust
  • Cool
  • Over crust sprinkle wild rice, onions, pepper, mushrooms, ham, cheese
Filling:
  • Beat eggs, sour cream, parsley, mustard, half and half
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Slowly pour liquid over crust
  • Sprinkle pecan halves over the top
  • Bake 35 minutes or until knife comes out clean from the center. Last 5 minutes of cooking place strips of foil over edges to prevent excessive browning
  • Let stand 10 minutes before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...