Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Trapped by the Arctic Blast

If you thought-15 below yesterday in Northern Minnesota seemed cold try waking up to -31. This was the forecast courtesy of Weatherground.com this morning. But our rather reliable outside thermometer registered at -40!!! In a previous blog I alluded to my theory about ice fisherman bordering on insanity as they spend long hours inside a small box in very cold temperatures. This theory was affirmed very early this morning when I looked out at the lake at these miniature residences. Smoke was spewing out of the vents so someone had to be inside. Just think how cold it is to leave a warm house and make your way across to the middle of the lake to get inside and hope for the big catch of the day.
But my biggest fear today is not having the car cooperate to make a return trip to the cities. Will keep you posted on where to find me next.
Reading, writing and baking seem like good indoor activities at the present moment. I found some lovely winter poems that seemed appropriate for this time of the year.
Introduction and poem from the book When The Moon is Full by Penny Pollock
Full moons come,
full moons go,
softening nights
with their silver glow.
They pass in silence,
all untamed,
but as they travel,
they are named.

January
The Wolf Moon

The weather chills,
the night is long,
wolf lifts his head
in lonely song.
His notes float high,
his notes drift low,
mournful in the
moonlight glow.

Note: Native Americans believed that wolves became restless in January.

from a book of poems called Winter Eyes by Douglas Florian
Winter Hues
Winter has to pick and choose.
The clothes she wears
Are few in hues:
A raw sienna,
A dark burnt umber
Some yellow ochres
Scant in number
Steel gray day,
Navy night
And winter white
And winter white.

Cabin Fever
I've done the wash.
I've swept the floor.
I've fed the cat
And fixed the door.
I've read three books
And last week's news,
And for the fourth time
Polished shoes.
It seems like years
Since I've had fun.
I look outside
For signs of sun.
I bite my nails.
I crawl the walls.
For lack of space
I pace the halls.
My mother warned me
Of cabin fever
I was a fool
To not believe her.

The beauty of this following recipe is having it in the freezer when unexpected company comes or if you are snowed in
Make Ahead Eggnog French Toast
Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups half and half (try substituting eggnog from the dairy shelf)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 3/4 tsp. rum (optional)
  • 16 slices of firm bread like sourdough or cibatta
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • melted butter
Directions:
  • Grease two cookie sheets
  • In a medium bowl combine eggs, half and half, sugar, vanilla and rum
  • Beat until well blended
  • Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture and place on prepared cookie sheet
  • Cover lightly and freeze 1-2 hours
  • Remove from freezer and stack in layers placing waxed paper between each slice
  • Wrap entire stack in foil and freeze till ready to use
  • Heat oven 425
  • Remove slices from freezer brush one side with melted butter
  • Place buttered side down on ungreased cookie sheet
  • Bake for 10 minutes
  • Turn over and brush other side with butter
  • Bake 10 more minutes
Serve with syrup or dust with powdered sugar







No comments:

Post a Comment

Puff Pastry with Salmon, Radishes and Garlic Cream Cheese

Radishes and Smoked Salmon with Puff Pastry Cook's Notes : An easy puff pastry treat that's a great way to start your morning or ser...