You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4th, not with a parade of guns, tanks and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten , but it's patriotism.
It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you.
There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America.
Franklin D. Roosevelt:
In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed, it must be achieved.
Fear less, hope more, eat less, breathe more, talk less, say more, love more, and all good things will be yours.
Enjoy your weekend with family and friends
Cherry Barbecue Sauce
this fruity, not so sweet barbecue sauce is terrific on any grilled poultry, pork or even salmon. It can be made a day ahead
- 1 cup canned chicken broth(low salt)
- 1/3 cup cherry preserves
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup red wine like a Merlot or Cabernet
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 TB. ketchup
- Combine chicken broth, cherry preserves, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon peel,cinnamon, dried cherries in medium saucepan. Boil over heat till mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups for about 6 minutes
- Mix cornstarch and wine, add orange marmalade and ketchup
- Whisk to blend
- Add to reduced broth mixture whisking constantly about 5 minutes till thickened
- optional: season sauce with salt, pepper, cayenne
- 1 lb. pork sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups of chopped celery
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cans of baked beans
- 1 can lima beans drained
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1 can of chunky tomatoes
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- several slices of bacon cooked and crumbled
- Mix all ingredients except bacon and place in a slow cooker for a few hours or in oven @ 300 for an hour and half-stir occasionally
- Place crumbled bacon on top