For those who might be interested in statistics: this is my 160th entry!!! It all began last September 3. And what a journey it has been for me. I have really enjoyed the process, thinking up new things to write about, finding pictures to go with each entry and trying new recipes. Your comments and feedback are always appreciated and helpful.
So as I enter year two I will begin with a book review of First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman. This book was suggested by a someone in my writer's group who found the book particularly helpful in their writing process. It is a practical guide written from the perspective of an agent who gives ideas on how one can keep their manuscript out of the slush pile by spending the most time on the first five pages. The author notes that 99% of manuscripts are rejected on the basis of the first five pages. He points out the overuse of adjectives, adverbs, and comparisons as being problem markers. He devotes one entire chapter on the importance of sound, rhythm and grammar. I found it helpful and hope one day my writings will indeed rise out of that slush pile into a publisher's hands!
I have eaten my way through the month of August with several lunches and dinners with friends. The good news.. I have lots of easy recipes to share-the bad news... requires more trips to the Y to break even with all those extra calories consumed.
PS. Photos from the Northwoods Arts Book Festival on Saturday are posted at
Raspberry Razzle Dessert
- Prepared pound cake
- Lemon Sorbet
- Raspberry Liqueur
Use clear sherbet glasses
- Cube pound cake in each sherbet glass about half full
- In each glass sprinkle pound cake with 2 TB. raspberry liqueur
- On top of pound cake place scoop lemon sorbet
- On top of sorbet add fresh raspberries
- clay pots(miniature size)
- 2 kinds of your favorite ice creams: chocolate, vanilla, coffee, butterscotch etc.
- Carmel sauce prepared
- crushed Oreo cookies
- flowers from garden
- spray bottom of clay pots with PAM
- place pots in freezer for 30 minutes or until cold
- layer each pot with the following ingredients
- freeze till serving
- to serve pick a flower from garden place a straw next to stem and wrap straw and stem with tape-press into flower pot
- optional one gummy worm hanging over the edge
- 1-8 0z. softened cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 TB parsley flakes
- finely chopped onions about 1/3 cup
- 3/4 cup crushed almonds
- 1/3 cup Panko crumbs
- Grease a glass pie pan
- In a bowl beat cheeses, onions, Miracle Whip
- Spread evenly in pan
- Mix parsley flakes, crumbs, almonds and sprinkle on top of cheese mixture
- Bake uncovered at 350 15 -20 minutes until bubbly around the edges
Spread sunshine. Scatter joy!