Time is free, but its priceless.
You can't own it, but you can use it.
You can't keep it, but you can spend it.
Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
Harvey Mac Kay
Business author and motivational speaker
Being away from my own kitchen space has presented some cooking challenges on this trip. It has forced me to be somewhat creative as I improvise.
My first cooking challenge was making a Key Lime Pie. I was using the recipe posted a few blogs back. First hurdle was the blender. It did not spin correctly for crumbling graham crackers. But fortunately for me I did have my own rolling pin. (You probably do not know anyone who travels with this cooking utensil do you?) Second challenge were the Key Limes. The only real Key Limes the store had were these small ones in a bag that were the size of Brussels sprouts (see photo posted). The challenge here was no juicer. So I put my husband to work who carefully cut each one in half and squeezed the juice out by hand. He barely made the 1/2 cup juice from all these little limes. Next challenge were the seeds that were floating in the juice and no small strainer. We crossed that hurdle by using a vegetable steamer. Happy to report the rest of the recipe went smoothly. I found a suitable pan and voila'... the results are posted for you to see.
The following recipe was posted several months ago. I made some changes in the dressing and type of pasta which has improved the flavor.
FYI We are in area that is currently on Jellyfish Alert along the beaches-Bella will update you soon on her near deadly encounter!
Lastly, let me know what you think of the new look for the blog site.
Chicken Cherry Pasta Salad
- 3 chicken breasts that have been cooked at 350 for 50 minutes. I used some onion/salt/pepper and covered chicken with foil
- 2 cups cooked Radiatore (I used a product called Ronzoni Garden Delight)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1- 5 oz. package dried cherries
- 4 cups baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 cup walnuts
Using 1 cup to start with mix equal parts of Miracle Whip and prepared dressing mix: Ken's Steak House Lite Sweet Vidalia Onion
- Slice and cube chicken
- Mix chicken with onion, celery, cherries
- Fold into dressing mixture and chill at least two hours
- Serve on individual plates with spinach leaves on bottom of plate and chicken mixture on top
- Sprinkle with nuts
- On the second day if you have leftovers consider adding more dressing to moisten it.