In Spring, I have counted
136 different kinds of
weather inside of 24 hours.
Spring is when you feel
like whistling even
with a shoe full of slush.
The first day of spring is
one thing, and the
first spring day is another,
The difference between them
as great as a month.
Henry Van Dyke
Happy First Day of Spring
No matter what area you live in Spring weather can be a mixed bag. So we all can appreciate anything in bloom that brightens up the landscape.
We are in an area where the Rhododendron bushes are in full bloom. And I might add look quite spectacular. I ask you though... could you spell this word without a little help? I am sure the residents of Washington state are ahead of me since this shrub is their state flower. Rhododendrons' nickname is King of Shrubs. There are over 850 different natural species and Azaleas are a shrub of genus (group) of Rhododendron.
I am posting a picture of the Pacific Rhododendron found online: state flower of Washington and one I took while out on a walk.
All this outside beauty inspired me to try a new recipe. If you like chocolate and coffee then this is the recipe for you!
adapted from Southern Living August 2010
- 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup margarine
- 6 TB. sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Kahlua
- 2- 2/3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. instant espresso (powder mixture and comes in a small jar)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped, salted, roasted almonds or can use dry-roasted salted peanuts
- 42 dark chocolate kisses (more if you choose to eat while cooking)
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven 375
- Beat butter until creamy adding sugars and beat well
- Add Kahlua and beat well
- Stir together flour, espresso, soda, cinnamon and salt
- Add to butter mixture and beat at a low speed
- Stir in almonds
- Dough can be placed in freezer till chilled about 1 hour
- Roll dough into small balls and bake 11-12 minutes on parchment paper
- Remove from oven and quickly place a candy kiss in center of each cookie- cool few minutes and transfer to a baking rack to complete cooling time