Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, April 1, 2011

The Second Best Place

Chapter 16 The World According to Bella
Just as I thought I couldn't be any more bored watching endless scenery out the window hour after hour I heard my people say" We are here."
I was puzzled what did they mean by here and this did not look like my home. I soon found out that we had arrived at the second dog friendliest place in the US: Asheville. I couldn't believe all the water bowls out in front of the downtown stores just for me and my doggie friends. Many store windows had signs that said: Dogs Welcome. One store sign even said: Dogs Welcome and Humans on Leash!. Now this is what I call a dog friendly town with a sense of humor. I got excited seeing a store named Bella. But for me the best part of this stop was the dog bakery for treats. I was salivating just looking at all the bakery choices. The owner couldn't have been nicer asking me what I would like to sample. I ask you...why can't we have something like this at home!!! Our stop was brief and we were on the road again. But I didn't seem to mind since my tummy was full and it was time for my late morning nap.
_________________________________________________
Granny's Sheath Cake
adapted from Christy Jordan's cookbook called Southern Plate
This cake has many names. It often called Texas Sheath Cake but Ms. Jordan calls it Granny's Sheath Cake because it is one her Granny often makes.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2-1/4 cups flour
  • 1 stick margarine and 1 stick butter
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 TB. Kahlua
Directions:
  • Heat oven 400
  • Lightly grease 13 x pan pan
  • Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon
  • In saucepan combine butter, margarine, coffee and cocoa
  • Whisk-place on medium heat and bring to a boil
  • Remove from heat and pour into flour mixture
  • Add rest of ingredients mix well
  • Bake 20 minutes
  • Make icing and spread over cake
Icing:
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 package ( 6oz.) chocolate chips-semi sweet
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 TB. Kahlua
  • 2-1/2 cup powdered sugar
Directions for icing
  • In medium saucepan bring margarine, chips, sugar, and milk to a boil
  • Reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes-remove from heat
  • Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla-use tablespoons of milk to get right consistency about 1/3 cup-beat till smooth-can do this right in saucepan
  • Note: Will use only 1/2 mixture (icing) for the cake-rest can be stored in freezer in a tightly covered plastic container





No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...