Our good luck charm these past two weeks have been dragonflies. These aerial acrobats dart about scooping up mosquitoes for a tasty meal. They hover airborne moving up and down, side to side and even fly backwards like a hummingbird. It is a harmless insect that does not bite and moves at an amazing speed of 45 miles an hour. It flaps its wings a mere 30 times a minute. Since we have an overabundance of pesky bugs this spring I more than welcome these speed demons on the scene.
In China people associate the dragonfly with prosperity and harmony. Among Native Americans, it is a sign of happiness, speed and purity.
I am no stranger to dragonflies since at last count I had some 60 dragonfly objects around the house in many different shapes and forms. One of my favorite items is a dragonfly door knocker. Today my photo lens captured a resting dragonfly on the outside of the house.
Smoked Mozzarella Pasta Salad
- 1 (6 oz.) jar of marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 (8 oz.) package of rotini pasta cooked
- 1 (7 oz.) jar roasted red peppers drained and cut into strips
- 1/2 lb. smoked mozzarella cheese or smoked Gouda cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small bag of spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise and Miracle Whip works fine
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Drain artichokes, reserve marinade-Cut artichokes into strips and place in a large bowl
- Add peppers, cheese, spinach with pasta and toss together
- Stir marinade, mayonnaise/Miracle Whip Parmesan cheese, pine nuts and garlic together
- Add to pasta mixture
- Cover and chill
optional: 1/2 (4.5 oz.) chopped green chiles drained