A Dog on His master
by Billy Collins
As young as I look,
I am growing older faster than he,
seven to one
is the ratio they tend to say.
Whatever the number,
I will pass him one day
and take the lead
the way I do on our walks in the woods.
And if this ever manages
to cross his mind
it would be the sweetest
shadow I have ever cast on snow or grass.
Recently I had the opportunity to go on a literary journey to a nearby small town in Minnesota. I met with a group of women who come together monthly to discuss poets and read a selected book of poems. Yesterday they were discussing Billy Collins's book of poems titled Ballistics. Just in case you are not familiar with this poet (which I was not) he was the US poet laureate for two terms 2001-2004 and New York state poet 2004-2006. He has an impressive list of awards and honors to his credit. Mr. Collins has published 12 books of poetry and has edited three others. He is famous for a conversational style in his writing. He welcomes readers into his poems using humor and wit as he makes profound observations on everyday life happenings, the art of reading and poetry.
check this link if you would like to read more of his poems.
Marvelous Mediterranean Vegetables
This recipe by Cathy Godberson was Taste of Home June/July 2011 Grand Prize Grilling Winner
It was easy to prepare and has lots of possibilities as a side dish for summer grilling.
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow and orange pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 10 fresh asparagus spears cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 small red onion sliced and separated into rings
- 1 small container of grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1 bottle 12 oz. Greek Feta Vinaigrette (Girard's brand)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Slice mushrooms, peppers and zucchini and place in a large resealable plastic bag
- Add rest of vegetables and onions in bag
- Pour vinaigrette into bag and seal-turn to coat
- Refrigerate at least 20 minutes
- Drain vegetables and discard marinade-transfer vegetable mixture to a grill wok or basket
- Grill uncovered 8-12 minutes or until vegetables tender-stir frequently
- Place on a serving plate and sprinkle with cheese