A recent trip to the grocery store put my imagination into overdrive. I discovered waffle bowls! They are an upgrade from the traditional waffle cone. I did some GOOGLE sleuthing and found out they have been around since 2007. But to me it was a brand new product. The possibilities seem limitless filling the waffle bowl with some dessert item.
For my first try I decided to modify a previous posted dessert item from August 17th Ultimate Summertime Dessert.
First I made the Best Ever Chocolate Cake recipe below but baked cake in a large muffin tin. After the individual cakes cooled on a wire rack I placed one in the waffle bowl. Then topped the cake with a small scoop of chocolate mint ice cream. And lastly for the piece de resistance (French term for highlight) drizzled bittersweet ganache.
As I think of other dessert ideas using waffle bowls will pass along.
Best Ever Chocolate Cake
This recipe makes a dense, moist cake
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened ccoca
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong hot coffee
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 jumbo egg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 TB. Kahula
- Beat all ingredients for 2 minutes-if batter has air bubbles gently bang bowl on counter
- PAM spray muffin tin and fill 1/2 full
- Bake @ 350 for 15-20 minutes
- Cool in pan 10 minutes and then place on wire rack
- Place cake muffin in waffle bowl, add small scoop of ice-cream-drizzle with ganache
- Melt 4 squares of baking bittersweet chocolate
- Add 4 TB whip cream to chocolate and microwave 40 sec, stir and then 30 sec.more till smooth add more whip cream if needed
- Optional adding 2 TB Kahlua