magazine cover 1916
Any chance you remembered to put out a shoe last night?
Today is the feast day of St. Nicholas. The figure of Santa Claus comes from St. Nick, who in turn comes from the real-life St. Nicholas, a fourth-century bishop from Myra, in what is now Turkey. In many parts of the world, today is the day that children get gifts -- on the evening of December 5th, they might put out shoes and get small gifts like fruit, coins, or toys.
Perhaps this might be a good baking day to get a jump start for the holiday season.
makes 3 loaves
- 7 large or 9 small bananas over ripe ones and use food processor to blend smooth
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups melted butter or margarine (using a combination of butter and margarine works the best
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups white flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 TB. Cinnamon
- 2-3 cups chopped nuts
- In processor add blended bananas, eggs one at a time, cinnamon, melted butter and margarine and sugars-mix well
- In a large bowl add flours, baking soda and salt
- Add creamed banana mixture to flour mixture and mix well
- Stir in chopped nuts
- Divide among three greased loaf pans
- Bake @ 325 about an hour-check at 55 minutes
"Smile, breathe and go slowly."
by Thich Nhat Hanh