Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The World According to Bella

I had to be very,very quiet for Mrs.S to get these pictures. And it is not easy since I love, love chasing birds. After two weeks here I am sure all the birds from the north are vacationing in just this spot. In fact,it seems overcrowded with so many.
We were lucky to get picture of a white ibis. They often take flight when you get close.  What I really want to see is the whopping crane. I've heard they also winter here but will be leaving soon. 
Y'all (I'm practicing my Texan drawl) need to know that Mrs. S really, really liked the valentine I gave her. She seems to have a "thing" for these sock monkeys. She posted a photo on the right. 
Lucky for me I brought my pink cowgirl hat. My next big field trip is going to a 15, 500 acre ranch. I've heard there are real cowboys and cowgirls there. I hope I fit in :)
Lucky Mrs. S brought her own LARGE cumin spice here. Seems every Tex-Mex recipe she finds calls for it.
______________________________________________________________
Tortilla Soup
"Worries go down better with soup"
Jewish proverb
This soup is served as a local favorite in many restaurants around San Antonio
Ingredients:
  • 2 large chicken breasts (save time and buy a rotisserie chicken from deli )
  • 4 cans chicken broth (low sodium)
  • 1 medium onion chopped/diced
  • 1 diced green pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper-seeded and minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 TB. olive oil
  • 1 large can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles diced
  • 1 can of whole kernel corn drained or 1 can black beans drained
  • 1/2 of a small can tomato paste
  • 1 can tomato soup
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup water 
Directions:
  • Saute onion, peppers, garlic in oil till tender
  • In a soup pot add this mixture plus the rest of the ingredients
  • Simmer on low for an hour
  • remove bay leaves
  • note  that soup tastes even better on the second day to meld the flavors
  • Use the following toppings:grated cheese,sour cream,tortilla chips,chopped green onion,lime slices, avocado slices, cilantro 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...