Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Monday, February 20, 2012

The World According to Bella

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen
to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the

never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen,

child. Anything can be."


-- Shel Silverstein 

Hit and Miss

Well I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw this sign in the window! Talk about southern hospitality. I knew this was the place for me. I could hardly wait to get inside and practically dragged Mrs.S through the door. It got even better with a nearby water dish and this guy handing out biscuits.   

Can you imagine being let inside an aquarium? Where I came from it that would be a no-no. Inside I had no idea what to expect. Lucky I have long legs and was able to see all the tanks. This one was my favorite-a leopard spotted eel. Though a bit scary looking.

Just when I thought I was on a roll for field trips it came to a screeching halt. I had to miss a boat trip to nearby wildlife refuge. The sign: No Pets Allowed told me loud and clear I was not wanted. And was I disappointed.  I love boat rides.  At the lake I never miss one. And this boat ride around here is considered a big deal. The Wharf Cat goes to the refuge to see whooping cranes who are wintering here in Texas. I'll bet you did not know that a flock of them like some 200 fly over 2,000 miles from Canada each year to come here just for the winter. Must like the weather.

In this pictures taken by Mrs. S the cranes are forging (hey... a new vocabulary word for me)  in shallow waters and in fields. They seldom eat fish but like crabs, frogs, berries, small reptiles and plants.

Mr. C thought the whooping cranes seemed larger than he had expected. Standing tall at  5 feet with a wingspan of 7-1/2 feet didn't impress me much. When I stretch out on the floor I'm 5 feet nose to tail. Just no wingspan to brag about.  Anyway they look small to me in the picture.

This was  the picture I liked best a Blue Heron in flight.

While they were gone I did some serious napping on the floor back at the house. Tomorrow I get to go back to the beach that Mrs. S missed two weeks ago due to her leg injury. I am so happy she is up for this trip. She always packs good snacks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...