Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Sunday, September 9, 2012

The World According to Bella


Well I did not get good news from the vet. I went last week for my yearly check-up. The doctor looked at Mr. C and shook his head. ”Don’t like what I see. There needs to be a change.”
Fear gripped me. What could be wrong?  Was death imminent?  Did I have some bad disease?  It was then I heard the dreaded words, “No more extra treats for Bella. She has to lose some weight.”
So I guess my summer of lounging around has finally caught up to me. But really some days were so hot it took all my energy just to go from my resting place on front porch to my resting place on the deck to my resting place inside under the table.  
I am on what Mr. C calls a restricted diet. But lately I seem to be having these nightmares.  I am always trying to reach that red box of milk bones on top of refrigerator or trying  to pry open the pantry for snacks. But I just can never quite reach them. Sometimes I even wake up in a cold sweat panting. Mrs. S worries about my recent weight gain. She wasn’t sure I’d be able to fit into my Blaze Orange Neoprene Vest with Armor-Flex Chest Protector, a needed attire for the Fall season.  But here I am in photo modeling last year’s vest. Really, I have many weeks before hunting season starts to lose those extra pounds.  As you can see I still look pretty fit in last year’s model even though I feel silly wearing it. Lucky for me the vest has velcro adjustments. It just covers my tummy.
No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does
Christopher Morley
 ___________________________________________
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Cook’s notes: This recipe is an Italian version of chicken noddle soup.  The recipe serves six.
Even tastes better the second day but may need to add more chicken broth. The cooked tortellini absorbs a lot of the juice.
Ingredients:
  • 1 package fresh tortellini (I used a product called Buitoni found in the deli section but other products can be found in freezer section) do not cook tortellini ahead
  •  1 can diced chunky tomatoes (I used a product called Hunts Roasted Garlic)
  • 1 cup finely chopped carrots
  • ¾ cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup finely chopped celery
  • ½ cup green/red peppers
  • 1-2 TB. minced garlic
  • Italian seasoning (½ tsp of each  basil, thyme, oregano, parsley)
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 2 cups cooked chicken
  • 6 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
  • Optional: 3 TB. dry red wine
Directions:
  • Cook 2 chicken breasts, then chop into chunks and set aside
  • Sauté in fry pan 2 TB. Olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, peppers, minced garlic and seasonings to mix about 3 minutes, then reduce heat, cover and cook 8 minutes more till vegetables are tender. Be sure to stir occasionally so mixture does not stick in bottom of pan
  • In a soup pot add 6 cups chicken broth, chunky tomatoes, sauteed vegetables, 1 tsp. sugar, and wine
  • On low heat uncovered cook mixture for about 30 minutes, add in tortellini and cook 15 minutes longer  
Serving suggestions: Add a dollop of prepared pesto to each serving and grate Parmesan cheese over bowl. Serve with warmed crusty French bread and fresh fruit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...