Still round the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate.
by J.R.R. Tolkien
Bisque is a thick creamy soup that is pureed to get an even texture. The soup had its origins in France. Chowder is similar to bisque but generally has thick chunks of ingredients in a rich creamy base.
Butternut Squash Bisque
Place butternut squash on a cookie sheet. Prick holes in squash with a sharp knife. Bake at 400 for 1 hour. Cool and slice lengthwise and scoop out squash. Place in a zip loc bag refrigerate till needed.
- 3 cups baked squash
- 3 -1/2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock (low salt, low sodium) or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. Saigon roasted cinnamon or plain ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. curry
- 1/2 tsp. celery seeds
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup chopped finely carrots
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 TB. orange zest
- In a fry pan melt 2 TB. Butter or olive oil and sauté onions, garlic, and carrots
- Add broth, prepared cooked squash, orange zest, spices and bring to boil, reduce heat cover and cook 20 minutes
- In a blender add this mixture 1 cup at a time and puree
- In a saucepan add the mixture from the blender and half and half
- Cook on low heat but do not bring to a boil –serve with croutons in small bowls