But the biggest revelation was from one lady who told us about how her book group read Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky and really enjoyed it. This book is the story of Atlantic Cod fishing over the past 1,000 years, how it has shaped political discourse, impacted diverse cultures and the environment and how nations have struggled over centuries to protect this fish. All the reviews of this book I read were favorable. Many reviewers were amazed that a 250 some page book on cod could hold their attention. It was attributed to the author's witty and informative style. So perhaps you need to put it on your list.
___________________________________I am sure that you do not need a reminder about the upcoming Super Bowl weekend. If you plan to do any entertaining and looking for some ideas this week's blog will feature recipes that work for a crowd.
Did you know that it is projected that Americans will consume over 1.25 billion chicken wings next weekend? Chicken wings have become a staple for Super Bowl entertaining and run a close second to dips and spreads which remain top of the entertaining list.
This recipe serves 45 hungry football fans
This dish tastes even better the second day after flavors meld
Use a Cuisinart to chop/grind the browned meat with celery and onions
Serve in a crock pot or soup pot
- 6 lbs. of hamburger
- 5 cups chopped onion
- 5-7 cups chopped celery
- 8 cans of chicken gumbo soup
- 2 cups of ketchup
- 1 TB. salt
- 3 TB. chili powder
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 TB. prepared yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 4 cans of chunky tomatoes (basil/garlic/oregano)
- Brown meat with celery and onion then drain
- In a food processor add meat mixture pulse a few cups at a time to crumble
- In a large soup pot add all the rest of the ingredients to the hamburger mixture
- Simmer (uncovered) 1-1/2 hours stirring frequently or place in a crock pot and cook on low 4 hours