"What are you doing Charlie Brown?" she asked.
"I'm waiting for valentines!" Charlie declared.
"Oh, well, good luck," Lucy offered sarcastically.
"Thank you," Charlie Brown said as Lucy started to walk away.
Lucy looked back over her shoulder and said, "You'll need it!"
Charlie Brown grimaced. "You didn't have to say that," he yelled back.
Charlie Brown opened the mailbox and peered inside, hoping top find countless valentines, maybe even one. Reaching into the mailbox and feeling around, Charlie Brown finally accepted that it was empty.
Be My Valentine by Charles Schultz
Just in case you need something to do while waiting for countless valentines to arrive in your mailbox here are some red main meal recipes for your consideration.
Raspberry Glazed Chicken
recipe adapted from Smuckers.com
Cook's note: This is a healthy dish and calories can be reduced by using sugar-free raspberry preserves
- 2 TB. olive oil divided
- 1 LB.boneless skinless chicken breasts cut lengthwise into strips or 4 boneless chicken beast halves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic (from a jar)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth (low sodium and fat free)
- 2 TB. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh Rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/3 cup Red Raspberry Preserves
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- In a large fry pan heat 1 TB olive oil and sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper
- Cook chicken in skillet 14-18 minutes until browned and internal temperature reaches 165
- Remove chicken to platter to keep warm
- Heat remaining tablespoon, add garlic cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Measure out chicken broth and whisk in cornstarch
- Add to skillet and add in vinegar and spices
- Simmer 3 minutes till slightly thickened and stir in preserves
Wild Salmon Fillets with Strawberry and Tomato Salsa
recipe adapted from Annie-eats.com
Cook's note: This is a heart healthy recipe
- 4 salmon fillets
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 TB. butter
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 4 scallions diced or red onion
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 TB. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. olive oil
- drizzle of honey
cilantro or chili pepper flakes
- Line a baking sheet with foil folding edges up to contain any spills
- Place fillets on sheet and squeeze lemon juice over and add butter
- Cook 15-20 minutes @ 375 and let salmon rest after removal from oven
- While salmon is cooking prepare salsa
- Stir and cover salsa refrigerate at least 30 minutes
Beef Fillets with Strawberry Sauce
recipe adapted from recipe4living.com
- 4 beef fillets
- 1 tsp. superfine sugar
- 1 cup diced strawberries plus extra for garnish
- 2 tsp. peppercorns
- juice from one small lemon
- 1-1/3 cup beef broth (low sodium-fat free)
- 2 TB. butter
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 TB. good quality red wine such as Pinot Noir or Burgundy
- Grill meat add salt/pepper
- While meat is grilling prepare sauce
- In a skillet toast peppercorns and add beef broth and butter
- Boil till liquid is reduced by half
- Mix cornstarch with wine, lemon juice, sugar and cut up strawberries
- Add to beef stock mixture and cook on low till thickened
- Add in strawberries and spoon over cooked fillets