What Is Red?
Red is a sunset
Blazy and bright.
Red is feeling brave
With all you might.
Red is sunburn
Spot on your nose,
Is a red, red rose.
Red squiggles out
When you cut your hand.
Red is a brick and
A rubber band.
Red is hotness
You get inside
When you're embarrassed
And want to hide.
Fire- cracker, fire-engine
And when you're angry
Red runs through your head.
Red is an Indian
A Valentine heart,
The trimming on
A circus cart.
Red is lipstick,
Red is a shout,
Red is a signal
That says "Watch out!"
Red is a great big
Red is the giant-est
Color of all.
Red is a show-off
No doubt about it-
But can you imagine
Living without it?
But how about a red meal? The following red recipes are just in time for your Valentine meal planning. The recipe selections will be spread out over 3 days. Day two there will be three main meal red recipe choices and on day three there will three red dessert recipe choices.
Cosmopolitan Raspberry Twist
recipe from food.com
Moisten two glass rims with a lime and place glass rim upside down on wax paper that has been sprinkled with superfine sugar
Freeze 4 raspberries
Add the following ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice
4 oz. raspberry vodka
1 oz. triple sec
2 TB. fresh squeezed lime juice
3 oz. raspberry cranberry drink
Serve with lime slices and float 2 frozen raspberries in drink
Omit the vodka for a non-alcoholic drink
Fill a tall glass with ice cubes or a cocktail shaker. Pour in vodka then all the juices and shake once. Pour into a martini glass
2 oz. vodka
3 oz. cranberry juice
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. cherry juice
orange slice twisted
Strawberry Pretzel Cracker
recipe from Southern Living April, 2011
Cooking tip: Make up the mixture ahead but do not add to pretzel cracker till right before serving to avoid a soggy cracker
- 2 cups finely chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced shallot or red onion
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 36 pretzel crackers (Keebler Town House Flipside Original Pretzel Cracker)
- Stir together strawberries, basil, brown sugar, shallot, and pepper. Spread softened cream cheese onto pretzel crackers. Top with strawberry mixture.
Blood Orange Radicchio Salad
Cooking tip: May need to double the dressing ingredients for 6 salads
- 5 medium blood oranges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium (12-oz.) head radicchio, washed, cored, and cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces (about 5 loosely packed cups)
- 1 medium (6-oz.) head butter lettuce,washed, cored, and cut into 1- to 2-inch pieces (about 4 loosely packed cups)
- 3/4 cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 small package of dried cranberries or 1-1/2 cup of Pomegranate seeds
- 1-1/2 oz. chunk Parmigiano-Reggiano or aged goat cheese
Finely grate 1 tsp. of zest and then squeeze 2 Tbs. juice from one of the oranges.
In a medium bowl, whisk the zest and juice with the olive oil, vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Pulse a few times in blender.
Mix radicchio, lettuce with hazelnuts and dried cranberries. Toss lightly with dressing.
Arrange on 6 salad plates with blood orange segments
Grate cheese on top