"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
by Lao Tzu
The following two recipes are versatile. Using the same ingredients one can be a main course or an appetizer.
Open-Faced Burritos with a margarita
Cook's notes: How much chili powder and hotness of salsa depends on your taste.
I used medium flavor salsa and 1-1/2 TB chili powder.
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1/2 can (16 oz.) vegetarian refried beans
- 3/4 jar ( 16 oz.) chunky salsa
- 1-2 TB chili powder
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion diced
- Cook hamburger with onion and crumble into small pieces-drain and return back to frying pan
- Add in rest of ingredients and cook on low heat about 25 minutes uncovered
- For burritos place on warmed shells: diced tomatoes, lettuce and meat mixture-optional adding black olives on top and serving with a dollop of guacamole/sour cream on the side
- For appetizer serve meat mixture on large chips, adding diced tomatoes lettuce, olives and guacamole
Asian Chicken Salad Wraps
Cook's notes: The original recipe started with one from Southern Living May 2013 Asian Chicken Salad Wraps but then I made several additions by adding in a dressing, coleslaw and nuts.
- Wishbone Lite Vinaigrette Dressing Asian with Sesame and Ginger
- pea pods
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken-diced
- 1- small bag 3 color coleslaw from produce section
- 1 package Sun- Dried Tomato= Basil Flour Tortilla
- 1 bag China Boy Rice Noodles
- optional chopped cashews
- For easier wrapping tortillas should be at room temperature
- In a large bowl mix 1 cup coleslaw mixture, 1-1/2 cup pea pods sliced in half, chicken and dressing. Start out with 1/4 cup dressing (I always start out small) and mix with chicken, coleslaw and pea pods
- Refrigerate 1/2 hour
- Add in 1 cup rice noodles, you may want to add in a drizzle more of dressing at this point
- Divide mixture between 2-3 wraps and roll tightly-cut in half on diagonal