Oktoberfest is the world's largest fair held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is a 16-day festival running from late September to the first weekend in October with more than 6 million people from around the world attending the event every year. To the locals, it is not called Oktoberfest, but "die Wies'n", after the colloquial name of the fairgrounds (Theresienwiese) themselves. The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since 1810. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations, modeled after the original Munich event.
Imagine trying to get a beer in this Munich Hall? Perhaps a better alternative would be hosting your own party. At least you know you wouldn't have to wait too long for a beer :) These recipes are perfect for entertaining with a Bavarian Flair.
Oktoberfest Meal-serves 25
Hot German Potato Salad
· 8 lbs. small red potatoes
· 2 lb. of bacon
· 1 cup cider vinegar
· 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup water
· 3 heaping TB.of flour mixed with 1/3 cup water
· salt, pepper
· 3 TB. celery seeds
· Boil potatoes with skins on till slightly soft-you want to cook them until peel starts to split-don’t overcook
· Drain and peel cut in half or quarters
· Fry bacon save grease
· In fry pan start with bacon grease, sugar, vinegar and water-whisk on low heat till boil
· Add flour to 1/3 cup water and whisk that into sugar/vinegar mixture and cook till thick, adding celery seeds and salt and pepper
· To crock pot add potatoes and chopped bacon.
· Pour sugar/vinegar/flour mixture over potatoes and cook on low heat 2 hours
Another option is to cook potatoes mixture in a covered baking dish and cook in oven @ 350 for 50 minutes
Apple Sausage Mixture
· 7 lbs. of sausages use a variety but ones that are fully cooked from Hillshire and Farm Fresh-Example Polish, Kielbasa (they come in a circle shape like ring bologna
· 5 apples diced
· 3 onions diced
· 10 cups apple cider
· Dice meats in 1-1/2 slices
· In a large soup pot add meat slices, cider, onion, apples
· Cook covered on low heat for an hour or so till apples are soft
A good side for this meal is red cabbage.