“A party without cake is just a meeting”Trifle is a dessert dish made with thick custard, a variety of fruits, sponge cake, fruit juice or jelly. Sometimes a small amount of alcohol is used to moisten the cake. These ingredients are usually arranged in layers. Trifles are often served at Christmas time.
Cook's note: If you like a lot of lemon flavor add another tablespoon of curd to whip cream. Lemon curd can be found in the jelly aisle.
- 1 box of gingerbread mix
- 1 jar lemon curd
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 TB. lemon zest
- Toasted pecans
- Prepare gingerbread mix according to box directions
- Whip cream and fold in 6 TB. lemon curd and lemon zest
- Use martini glasses or parfait glasses for individual servings or a glass compote
- Place a layer of crumbled cake in the bottom of glass, add a layer of lemon cream mixture and repeat with another layer of cake then lemon cream mixture
- Sprinkle with toasted pecans
Wild Rice and Cranberry Side Dish
recipe serves: 6
Cook's notes: This side dish is a perfect accompaniment to a holiday meal.
- mixed greens
- 1-1/2 cups wild rice, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. cumin and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 Tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a blender combine all dressing ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste, set aside
- Cook wild rice in chicken broth for 45 minutes or until rice is tender
- Sauté garlic and chopped onions in 2 TB. olive oil for 6 minutes until onions are translucent. Reduce heat and continue to cook onions until slightly caramelized
- Add pecans or walnuts to sauté pan and cook over medium heat until toasted - watch closely so they don't burn!
- In a serving bowl combine the cooked rice, onions/garlic, chopped parsley and dried cranberries. Add 1/3 cup of the citrus dressing to wild rice mixture. Continue adding dressing until just moistened. Refrigerate
- Server wild rice pilaf over mixed greens
- Another option is to omit toasted nuts and add cashews with sliced water chestnuts and mushrooms instead.