from Southern Living January 2014
My husband was incredulous when he heard I used only one pot to make this meal. He has seen my messes!! You would probably be surprised if you saw our lake kitchen where the majority of my cooking is done. Space is limited.
The Big Reveal... here is where most of my Ever Ready recipes are made. And if you look closely you can see a little bit of Bella resting at her usual spot at the bottom of the stairs.
One-Pot Pasta with Tomato-Basil SauceCook's notes: The recipe was adapted from the original one. It has a creamy sauce pumped with lots of flavor. A hearty wine like Malbec or Pinot Noir would pair nicely with this dinner.
- 12 oz. penne or about 2-1/2 cups dried pasta
- 1 can diced chunky tomatoes (basil, oregano, garlic)
- 2 cups low fat chicken broth
- 1/2 diced sweet yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. each oregano, basil, parsley
- 1/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 4 TB. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 package ( 6 oz.) torn baby spinach leaves -remove stems
- grated Parmesan cheese
- optional 2 cups diced cooked Italian sausage or adding shrimp for the last part of the cooking time
- Place first 9 ingredients in a large soup pot
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook covered 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente
- Stir and add spinach leaves, cook on low 10-15 minutes more
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes
- Serve with Parmesan cheese
I am an avid fan of HGTV and this would be the dream kitchen I could picture myself in. But I'm not sure about this lady in the red dress if she actually cooks or is just showing off the kitchen :)