Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Sunday, April 6, 2014

The World According to Bella

Dog Fest
I couldn't believe my doggie ears when Mr. C called out " You're in, Bella! Says here on the computer well behaved dogs are welcome at the market." 
What luck-another field trip. This one into Jacksonville to Riverside Arts Market. It was listed on the computer as one of the top attractions in Jacksonville.  
 
It was under a bridge near Riverside walkway. We liked the view of city skyline  
but it was the inside that really caught my attention. It was like a big dog party with pets, owners, food, music, crafts, lots of babies in strollers...


















and all the free 'pets' I 've ever wanted. Seems everyone wanted to stop and visit with me.
 Mrs. S and I were on a hunt to find Taylor's Dog Treats or Barkley's Bakery Dog Treats. We could not find either but found something just as good. 
 Check out their display of treats.
My head was spinning with all the choices but I was allowed only one pick.
When I spied Bubba's Bistro, my heart raced and I panted. Their display took my breath away. 
Check out their sampler packages and Bistro menu.
The owner must have really wanted us to buy something. She kept giving me one free sample after another. Finally Mrs.S thought I had enough. We bought a bag of treats for my buddy Mulligan. I started feeling a bit homesick with the mention of Mulligan's name. Mrs. S tried to cheer me up promising later that day we could skype Mulligan and his owner.
I was stuffed and napped all the way back. 
Love, Bella
_____________________________________________________________
Cook's notes:
Several blog posting back I mentioned my love of Publix grocery store. Not only do they shine with personalized service but each day they make a dish to sample with a recipe card.  I really liked this recipe for its simplicity, easy to find ingredients and unusual flavor combinations. And one of the best parts is it can be put together in less than 15 minutes.
Since the recipe calls for using a whole bag of Asian salad kit and would serve four and we are two I decided to use half of the bag, make the dressing ,use only half and save for another meal. I had left over chicken chunks and added it to the salad. The recipe called for using raw ramen noddles crushed to give it that extra crunch. Ramen noodles lack flavor so I used a handful of broken sesame sticks. 
Crunchy Asian Chicken Slaw
recipe adapted from Publix Super Markets
Ingredients:
  • 1 (12 oz.) Asian salad kit includes cabbage, toppings and sesame dressing
  • 1 (5.3 oz. ) container plain nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 3-4 cups cooked chicken-bite sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup  green onions
  • 1 (3 oz.) package Oriental ramen noodles
  • broken sesame sticks 
  • 1 cup peanuts
Directions:
  • Whisk in small bowl, yogurt and sesame dressing from salad kit
  • In a large bowl add cabbage mixture, green onions and toss with dressing
  • Cover and chill 30-60 minutes for flavors to meld 
  • Add in peanuts and sesame sticks or ramen noodles right before serving 

Food figures highly in Southern hospitality, a large component of the idea being the provision of Southern cuisine to visitors. A cake or other delicacy is often brought to the door of a new neighbor as a mechanism of introduction. Many club and church functions include a meal or at least a dessert and beverage. Churches in the South frequently have large commercial style kitchens to accommodate this tradition, but many "fellowship suppers" are "covered dish": everyone attending brings a dish. However, if a newcomer arrives without a dish, he or she will be made to feel welcome and served generously. When a death or serious illness occurs, neighbors, friends, and church members generally bring food to the bereaved family for a period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...