Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, May 2, 2014

Art in Bloom

Each Spring, for 31 years, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) has partnered with local florists and designers to bring flowers and art together. The floral displays are imaginative paired with a work of art from the MIA  collection. Paintings, sculptures and pottery pieces are some of the art types from their collections. Sometimes the floral displays match, mimic or enhance the contrasting piece of art.  

This year 150 florists participated. Many of the artists were on hand to talk about their work. 

Artists were also busy over the 4 day event spritzing and sometimes replacing flowers or greenery to keep their designs looking fresh.

Art in Bloom is free and open to the public. Pictures are allowed as long as the flash is off. But what I did not anticipate happening halfway through was a low battery and my camera shut down. Lucky I had my phone camera as a back-up. I didn't get pictures of all 156 displays but I came close. I enlarged pictures so you could have a good close up view. And I really tried to restrain myself on how many to post! Not easy for me :)

A sure sign of spring were these buds on the bushes outside the building.  
This floral arrangement was definitely a showstopper outside the door of the MIA. Meet Adamina 'daughter of the earth'.
Scattered throughout the three floors of displays were various floral displays not matched up to an art piece. I really liked this whimsical one from Bachmans.
 Enjoy a walk though art.
  



The painting above inspired this creative display all made out of natural materials. I voted it as my "People's Choice Award"

I was intrigued by the concept of a hydrangeas submerged in water as an art piece. 

Last but not least by any means was the opportunity to attend workshops given by master gardeners. Bill Taylor charmed and captivated his audience with a presentation of "The History of Flower Arranging from the Egyptians to the Present".  Taylor's presentation was followed by an auction of his floral arrangements. I really wanted to bid on one of the floral pots with an umbrella. It would have been perfect for an upcoming bridal shower my family is hosting.

1 comment:

  1. One of these years, I'll get to this. I would love to see this floral and other art. Thank you for taking me there.

    ReplyDelete

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...