Cucumber and Dill Salad
Cook's notes: Looking for a healthy, quick summer salad? This cucumber salad takes only a few minutes to make. It is easy and delicious. The salad pairs perfectly with any grilled meat or fish. Radishes can be substituted for celery. Adding fresh dill takes this salad to a whole new level.
Use English or European cucumbers. These cucumbers usually come in a plastic wrapper.
- 4 English cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 TB. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced or 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- Place cucumbers slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Squeeze excess water without ruining the cucumber.
- Whisk vinegar, water, sugar and pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved.
- Toss onion with radishes or celery. Pour dressing over the cucumbers mixture, add fresh dill and mix.
- Cover and chill two hours. Serve side dish cold. Use a slotted spoon to serve.
- Optional add in tomato chunks.