"Before you quit, try. Before you talk, listen. Before you react, think. Before you criticize, wait. Before you move on, forgive."
-- Author Unknown
Caprese Lasagna Roll-Ups
Cook's notes: This dish has all the flavors you would find in the traditional caprese; mozzarella, fresh basil and tomatoes plus the traditional flavors of lasagna.
recipe adapted from Cooking Classy and makes 8 lasagna roll-ups
- 14 oz. freshly shredded, low-moisture part skim Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 - 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/6 inch thick slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup marinara sauce, recipe follows Simple Marinara Sauce
2TB. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic finely minced
1 (28 oz) can chunky tomatoes, garlic,bail and oregano
1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1. Saute onions and minced garlic in olive oil.
2. Add in tomatoes and mix well.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer 25 minutes; set aside.
4. Snugly roll lasagna noodles to opposite end. Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of lightly greased an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Align lasagna roll ups, seam side down in dish.
5. Top each roll up with about 2 Tbsp of the pasta sauce (covering edges of pasta so they don't dry out while baking). Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz. shredded Mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate pasta and garnish with plenty of basil ribbons. Serve warm.