and so she did!
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Shallots, Garlic and Cranberries
Cook’s notes: Garlic, bacon and shallots add intense flavor to the Brussels sprouts. Cranberries compliment the savory dish.
Recipe serves 4
- 7 slices center-cut bacon
- ½ cup sliced shallots or sweet onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
- ¾ cup fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
- 2TB. balsamic vinegar, Red Apple Balsamic or Dark Cherry Balsamic
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- Trim edges of sprouts and peel off outer leaves leaving a tight leaf ball to hold it together. Cut sprouts in half. Cook 7 bacon slices until crisp. Set aside. Remove bacon drippings. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel and add back to skillet 1 TB bacon drippings. Discard rest of drippings.
- Add onions or shallots, garlic, 1 tsp. brown sugar, 2 TB. Balsamic vinegar and halved cut side down Brussels sprouts to skillet. Saute 5 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until broth is mostly evaporated and the sprouts are crisp and tender. Add in crumbled bacon and dried cranberries. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, salt and pepper dish before serving.
Follow the link for some clever Christmas Food Hacks that include:
Kids will enjoy being creative in the kitchen by decorating their own Christmas trees using waffle cones.
Bake brownies in cookie cutters or bake pancakes in cookie cutters