Perhaps you are finding your days seem to be on sugar overload with holiday baking and extra socializing. Recharge and refuel by making a large batch of chili. It's perfect for a crowd and nice to have on hand when you don't feel like cooking, The chili freezes well and tastes better made a day or two ahead to maximize flavors. The recipe serves 8-10.
- 3 lbs. cooked hamburger, drained and crumbled
- 2 jars each (26 oz.) of spicy tomato basil sauce or Marinara
- 2 cans each (14.5) diced tomatoes basil, garlic, oregano
- 1-cup ketchup
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups water
- 4 TB. lemon juice
- 2 TB. brown sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 3 cans light red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3-4 TB. chili powder
- Brown hamburger with onions, celery, salt and pepper to taste. Drain and crumble.
- In a crock pot or soup pot add hamburger mixture with rest of ingredients. Mix well.
- Simmer on low heat several hours stirring occasionally.