Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, January 2, 2015

The World According to Bella and Smashed Potatoes

A Simmering Pot of Jealousy
Just when I was getting over my disappointment of not getting a camouflage back pack for Christmas like the one Sadie has she shows up at my house with new stuff.
Meet Sadie. We have lots of fun chasing each other around the yard, running down the hill to the lake, trying to walk on the ice and going on walks. But when she came to visit last time we fought over my nap towel and nap rug. Here she is on my nap rug and wouldn't budge. I was not happy. So for this visit Sadie's owner brought her bed, a Top Paw Orthopedic Foam Bed. I was patient waiting for my chance to try it out.  And I can tell you its way better than my bed.  I want one too!
 
Later I grabbed my nap rug back, held on to it tightly and let Sadie have her bed back. Mrs. S said it was only right since she was our guest. 
Several hours later I was ready for my afternoon walk and at the door. But I had a bit of a wait for Sadie. She had to get dressed with her canine topcoat/vest, shock collar with beeper and booties which protect her paws from getting ice balls on them. I didn't want any booties but her orange vest looked mighty warm. It was cold outside.   
But it was this picture that really sent me over the edge. Her owner texted Mrs. S to let her know she might need to change the evening menu.  Look at Sadie's smile. She is a pointer, located the grouse and helped score a victory. She had such an important job.
Mrs. S thought you might like to see what they really had for dinner.  The grouse was saved for another night.   
Mrs. S is sharing one of the recipes and saving the rest for the next posting.  She also wanted me to tell you that she got the night off from cooking. All Mrs. S had to do was take pictures while her guests made the entire meal. Sadie and I were happy with our rawhide bones. 
Love, Bella

Beef Tenderloin, Smashed Potatoes, Wild Rice with Greens and Gruyere Cheese Casserole 
 Smashed Potatoes a.k.a Crash Hot Potatoes (recipe from Pioneer Woman.com) 
Cook's Notes: This side dish is simple, crispy and flavorful. 
Ingredients:
  • 12 Yukon or red potatoes
  • olive oil
  • sprigs of fresh Rosemary 
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • Kosher salt and ground pepper
  • Parmesan cheese

Directions: 
  • Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes until tender and drain. 
  • While potatoes are boiling cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.  Drizzle olive oil over the parchment paper so potatoes won't stick. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
  • Arrange potatoes on baking sheet. Allow room for potatoes to spread out. Use the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in flour to smash each potato or use a potato masher.
  • Brush potatoes with olive oil, add sprigs of fresh rosemary on top, sprinkle with thyme. Add Kosher salt which adheres more easily to potatoes and freshly ground pepper. 
  • Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mexican Street Corn Salad and Glazed Lemon Blueberry Loaf

There are many reasons to celebrate spring as nature begins to put on a showy display. With May around the corner, celebrations abound with ...