Pink Sahara in the sky;
clouds are dunes of sand.
I am watching shadows play
right into my hand.
Farewell, light of day.
Sky, a painted desert rose slowly fades away
Sweet Italian Sausage with Homemade Marinara Sauce over Spaghetti
Cook's notes:For a change skip buying a jar of Marinara sauce at the store and make your own. It's easy. The sauce can be made a day ahead for flavors to meld and the sauce freezes well. Recipe adapted from Italian Comfort Food BHG Special Interest Publication 2015.
- 1-1/2 lbs. Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 1- 28 oz.can of Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up and undrained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup each carrots, celery, onions and green pepper, diced
- 3 TB. tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sausages in glass pie pan, cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Cool, dice meat and set aside.
- In a soup pot heat oil and add in minced garlic, carrots, celery, peppers and onions. Saute for 8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, broth, sugar, canned tomatoes, seasoning, salt and bay leaf.
- Whisk mixture and simmer on low uncovered 1 hour. Check to make sure carrots and celery are tender. Remove bay leaf. Add in cooked sausages and wine. Cook 10 minutes longer.
- Cool and refrigerate until serving. Reheat on low for 15 minutes.