Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, April 17, 2015

A Healthy Salad for the Spring Season

Watercress Salad with Sesame Garlic Dressing
Cook's notes: I was drawn to this salad with the unusual mix of ingredients: radishes, hard boiled eggs and avocados. The recipe is a healthy start to reenergize your love for season's best vegetables. The recipe comes from eatingweell.com 
I will post the original recipe I wanted to make but since I lacked some of the ingredients I had to make substitutions and then give the salad a brand new name:)
Just in case you've noticed I have become a fan of specialty oils and vinegars. My newest purchase is one with an amazing flavor called Lemongrass Mint White Balsamic Vinegar. It pairs well with asparagus, fish and salmon. Available at  http://loideoilsandvinegars.com/
Cut avocados brown easily so add in right before serving. Salad serves 4-6.
Ingredients:
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 cups trimmed watercress or arugula (about 4 ounces)
  • 2 cups torn radicchio (1-inch pieces)
  • 1 small avocado, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup sliced radishes
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced spring onions or scallions
  • 2 TB.fresh lime juice
  • 1 TB. fish sauce or soy sauce
  • 1 TB. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. fresh jalapeño
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Directions:
  • To hard-boil eggs, place in a small saucepan and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling. Cut into quarters.
  • Combine watercress (or arugula), radicchio, avocado, radishes and onions (or scallions) in a salad bowl. Add the eggs. 
  • Combine lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, jalapeño, garlic and oil in a jar; cover and shake to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
Mixed Greens Salad with Avocado- Radishes-Eggs
with White Balsamic Dressing
Salad serves 4.
Salad Ingredients:
  • 4 hard boiled eggs
  • 2-3 cups baby spinach, stems trimmed
  • 3 cups chopped Romaine
  • 2 small avocados, cut into bite size pieces 
  • 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced radishes
  • 1/2 cup diced green onions
  • 3/4 cup diced cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup honey roasted sliced almonds
White Balsamic Dressing
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or Lemongrass Mint White Balsamic or Pomegranate Quince  White Balsamic
  • 2 TB. honey or Agave Nectar
  • 1/4 tsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
Salad Directions:
  • Mix all salad ingredients and drizzle on dressing just before serving.
Dressing Ingredients: 
  • Mix all ingredients in a blender.

____________________________________________

The World According to Bella


This is one of my many favorite nap spots, the landing on the stairs. I'm exhausted. Today I personally inspected and approved the dock being put in. But it seemed like forever as I watched Mr. C slowly put each piece together. I was impatient wanting him to be done so I could run back on forth on it and still keep a watchful eye on a loon swimming by.  


Mrs. S is always reading poems. I could hardly stay awake listening to her read this  one which was funny.
Love, Bella

I explained it to St. Peter,
I'd rather stay here
Outside the pearly gate.
I won't be a nuisance,
I won't even bark, I'll be very patient and wait,
I'll be here, chewing on a celestial bone,
No matter how long you may be.
I'd miss you so much, if I went in alone.
It wouldn't be heaven for me.

Unknown Poet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...