Spring appears in whispers
and hushed tones,
as the bellowing winter
Drowsy flowers come to
waking from their sleep-
with heads turned upward towards
the Maestro called Sun-
I watch with anticipation
the concert begins.
Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame AsparagusCook's notes: Oh, my this is an amazing side dish to put at the top of your "must do" recipe list. Pairing brown sugared bacon with fresh asparagus are flavors that compliment each other. This sweet and savory dish is perfect for your next brunch.
Recipe adapted from http://www.howsweeteats.com/Serves 4 and is easily multiplied.
- 1 bunch of asparagus spears, stems removed
- 4-8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1-1/2 TB. olive oil
- 1/2 TB. toasted sesame oil
- 1-1/2 TB. brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/2 TB.toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a wire rack with nonstick spray and place on top of the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oils, brown sugar and garlic. Set aside.
- Divide asparagus spears in 12 bundles, Wrap one piece of bacon tightly around each bundles of 3-4 asparagus spears. Place bundles on the wire rack seam-side down.
- Using a pastry brush or a spoon brush the spears thoroughly with the oil/sugar mixture. Give each bundle a hefty sprinkle of sesame seeds. Roast for 30 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Serve warm.