Follow this link to some wonderful strawberry-rhubarb recipes from Huffington Post .
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins with Streusel Topping
A sweet crispy topping highlights these tender muffins that are filled with two favorite spring foods rhubarb and strawberries. Add a cup of your favorite coffee or tea, a book to read and you have a recipe for a heavenly day.
recipe adapted from Chickadee Cottage Tea Room and Restaurant Cookbook and makes 18.
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon or 2 tsp. regular cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups diced rhubarb
- 1-1/4 cups diced strawberries
- 2 TB. cold butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup quick coking dry oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 chopped nuts
- Pulse streusel ingredients just until coarse crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use a medium size muffin pan and fill with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl combine sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and stir only until combined. Gently fold in diced strawberries and rhubarb.
- Fill cupcake lines 3/4 full. Sprinkle with topping and bake for 18 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Cook's notes: A wonderful accompaniment to chicken, pork or salmon.
- 2 cups strawberries, trimmed and halved
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 TB. balsamic vinegar, Red Apple, Black Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Pinch Chinese five-spice powder or ground cloves (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender and the fruit is all broken down and chunky.