- Zucchini (‘courgette’ in French) is a summer squash. They are tender and tasty when young, but most varieties are tasteless when large and overgrown. When buying zucchini, look for ones that are firm and heavy for its size. Do not wash until ready to use.
- One zucchini is a 'zucchina.'
- The largest zucchini weighed 65 pounds and was 7 feet 10 inches long.
- There are 37 people in the U.S. listed on whitepages.com with the last name 'Zucchini' and an additional 47 with the last name 'Zucchino'
Fettucune with Zucchini and Toasted Pecans
This time of the year gardens are bursting with zucchini. Southern Living has posted 30 zucchini recipes as a savory side dish or as part of a main course. http://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/zucchini-recipes
Cranberry Orange Zucchini Muffins
Cook's notes: Cranberry Orange Zucchini Muffins are a great way to use up zucchini surplus. You can bake these muffins and freeze extras for another time. I would hold off on adding the glaze if you freeze them though. Once muffins are thawed you can make the glaze. The orange juice in the glaze brings out the orange flavor in the muffins. Recipe makes 16- 18 medium sized muffins.
Recipe adapted from shugarysweets.com
For the muffins
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- zest of one orange
- 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 orange, juiced (about 3 TB.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Spray muffin cup pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon,nutmeg and salt together. Add zucchini, buttermilk, melted butter, orange zest and egg. Fold in cranberries.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth. Dip tops of cooled muffins in glaze, and allow to set.