Curry Chicken Salad Club Sandwich
Cook's notes: This recipe started out as a double decker chicken salad BLT on white but when I noted the calorie count I began to scale back with many revisions to make a healthier version. I was wowed with the final taste. The chopped nuts added a nice salty crunch with the sweetness of the chutney. The flavors together were amazing and it will definitely be on my favorite sandwich list. Adding yogurt to the dressing brings out the flavors of the spices and chutney. I created an open face sandwich on whole wheat toast rather than a double sandwich. on white. The bacon was eliminated which really wasn't needed. Just adding fresh garden tomatoes and lettuce was the piece de resistance. Cooked ground chicken was used for the base which stretched the salad servings more.
This sandwich also has possibilities for tea time spreading the chicken salad on banana or zucchini bread slices. The following recipe was adapted from cusineathome.com and serves four.
Curried Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise (can substitute light)
- 3/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup Major Grey's chutney (found near jams and jellies)
- 4 tsp. lime juice
- 1-2 tsp. curry powder (start with 1 tsp. and taste taste to 2 tsp. )
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 lb. ground cooked chicken (about 5 cups diced cooked chicken)
- 3/4 cup chopped salted cashews
- 1/3 cup green onions, diced
- toasted whole wheat bread slices
- sliced tomatoes and green leaf lettuce
- Whisk together Miracle Whip, yogurt, chutney, lime juice and curry powder. Season with salt and cayenne.
- Combine cooked chicken, cashews and green onions. Add enough dressing to moisten the chicken mixture. Refrigerate any extra dressing as well as chicken salad several hours for flavors to meld. Add remaining dressing if needed at serving time.
Major Grey's Chutney is considered by some the gold standard of chutney. Major Grey's is said to have been created by a 19th century British Army officer whose journeys included India, South Africa and the Caribbean. Major Grey's is characterized as a mild chutney typically made with mangoes, raisins, vinegar, sugar and spices.