Today was a very fine day for us to take a walk to the mailbox and check out some leaf colors.
Cook's notes: A coffee cake filled with fall flavors, pumpkin, cranberries and cinnamon. The unusual mix of ingredients intrigued me on this recipe. The cake is dense, flavorful and goes perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. The tart yet sweetness of the cranberries adds the perfect touch to this cake.
Recipe adapted from BHG Fall Baking 2015.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground Saigon/Vietnamese cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. apple pie spice mix
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1-15 oz. can pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mild flavored molasses
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl stir together the first 9 ingredients through pepper.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Remove 3/4 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside for topping.
- In another bowl whisk next 5 ingredients through baking soda and mix well. Add pumpkin mixture and cranberries to remaining crumb mixture. Stir until just moistened. Spread batter in pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and bake 45-50 minutes or until a long skewer comes out clean.
- Cool gingerbread in pan on a wire rack, cool 30 minutes.
- Remove sides of pan and frost cake or drizzle with icing.
- Refrigerate to set frosting 15 minutes.
- Beat 3 oz. softened cream cheese, 1 TB softened butter, a few sprinkles of cinnamon and 1-3/4 cups powdered sugar. Add enough milk to get the right icing consistency. Optional adding crushed walnuts.