Lucky for me I have been blogging Know Your Squash. I was at a small up north grocery store and thought I was buying butternut squash. But two cashiers insisted it was spaghetti squash and the man bagging groceries wasn't sure. So it took the grocer from produce to declare indeed it was butternut squash.
I knew it all along.
Here are some interesting squash varieties to help you be an informed shopper.
Autumn Root Vegetable Gratin with Herbs and CheeseCook's notes: Root vegetables are nourishing veggies that develop under the soil. Be creative using root veggies in this dish. Choose your favorites.
Recipe adapted from "Williams-Sonoma Entertaining with the Seasons" and serves 6.
- 3 parsnips
- 2 small rutabagas
- 1 medium turnip
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes or 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes
- 1 TB. coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup 2 % milk
- 2 TB. plus 1 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 TB. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley or 1 TB. dried parsley
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup. finely shredded Gruyère cheese