Apple Harvest SaladCook's notes: Light, healthy and packed full of fiber and protein, this apple harvest salad is perfect for lunch or dinner. Recipe adapted from Life Made Simple serves 2
- 3 c. lightly packed spinach or spring mix greens
- ¼ c. cooked quinoa
- 1 medium apple, cut into chunks (try Honeycrisp or Sweet Tango)
- 3 TB. pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 TB. pecans (halves or chopped)
- 1 tsp. minced shallot
- 2 TB.. balsamic vinegar
- 3 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- Add greens to a large dinner plate or salad bowl. Top with the cooked (and cooled) quinoa, apple chunks, pepitas, dried cranberries and pecans.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the shallot and vinegar in a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine. Slowly add the olive oil by pouring in a steady stream, whisking vigorously until emulsified. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
- Optional: Adding in slices of chicken, roasted butternut squash or crumbled blue cheese.
Cook's notes: This salad was previously published on Ever Ready but worth repeating.Recipe adapted from greatfoodslifestyle.com Serves 4
- 1 small bag of baby spinach leaves
- 3 cups butternut squash cubes
- 3 TB. pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup glazed walnuts or glazed almonds
- 1-2 cups diced pears
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread cubed butternut squash on pan. Drizzle with olive oil or Blood Orange Olive Oil and balsamic vinegar. Roast until tender about 20 minutes.
- Mix spinach leaves, cooled butternut squash and diced pears. Sprinkle in pomegranate seeds and walnuts. Let festive Pomegranate Vinaigrette dress your favorite salad greens. Not only does the vinaigrette lend seasonal color, it's also made with flavorful, antioxidant-rich pomegranate juice.
- 1-1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 5 tsp. honey
- 1 TB. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp.Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Bring pomegranate juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Transfer to a small bowl. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
- Add all ingredients in blender and mix well.
Today was what Mrs. S calls a "red letter day". First I went to the doctor to get weighed. On my way in I saw Dr. Steve. He said I was lookin' good. I wish Mrs. S would have taken off my leash, collar and orange scarf. It might have helped make the number be lower. But still I was happy to hear that in a month I had lost 1.75 lbs.
But my really best news is that my blog site is now done. You can sign up to receive postings so you won't miss a thing. So far in 8 days I have 134 followers. You can comment on my posts and follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Google and Pinterest. At the top of the page there's even a link to Mrs. S's blog.
Check out my latest posting
I'm Almost There https://bellasworldblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/im-almost-there/