What's Your Thanksgiving IQ?
Take the quiz. Answers at end of blog posting.
1. Which US President was the first to officially pardon a turkey?
a. John F. Kennedy b. George H.W. Bush c. Abraham Lincoln d. Theodore Roosevelt
2. The average Thanksgiving meal contains __ calories?
a. 1.500 b. 2,200 c. 3,000 d. 4, 500
3. Which company created the green bean casserole?
a. Del Monte b. French's c. Green Giant D. Campbell Soup Company
4. The tradition of using crackers in stuffing originated in?
a. New England b. South Carolina c. New Orleans d. Texas
5. Which part of a turkey is called "the pope's nose"?
a. the fatty flesh at the tail end b. the tenderloin c. the skin of the neck cavity d. the round piece of dark meat over the backbone
6. America's favorite Thanksgiving pie is...
a. pecan b. apple c. pumpkin
7. Sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows originated in the
a. early 1900's b. 1950's c. 1970's
8. What are the percentages of white and dark meat in a typical turkey?
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Cookie Crust
Recipe serves 12. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- gingersnap cookie wafers (store-bought) crushed about 2 cups
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 TB. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon or 1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
- 2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese softened
- ¾ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (14. 5) of pure pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 TB. flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon or 2 tsp. regular cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- In a food processor break cookies in half (a few at a time) and pulse until crumbs are formed. Add in pecans and pulse again 1-2 times. In a bowl add cookie/pecan crumbs and mix with sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
- Pat into bottom of a spring form pan.
- Beat softened cream cheese with brown sugar.
- Add eggs in one at a time beating on low speed after each addition
- Add in pumpkin, flour, vanilla and spices
- Beat until smooth and pour into crust
- Bake @ 350 for 50 minutes or until knife comes out clean from the center of cheesecake
- Turn off oven and let cheesecake sit 15 minutes
- Remove from pan from oven, cool 5 minutes and run a knife around inside rim to loosen cheesecake. Remove outside part of the spring form pan.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack
- Cover cheesecake lightly with foil
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight
- Add ½ tsp. cinnamon to whip cream and use as a garnish for the cheesecake.
A link to some easy fun Thanksgiving Day Crafts for kids.
Trivia IQ answers:
1 b. 2. c 3.d 4. a 5. a 6. c 7. a 8.c
Check out Bella's latest blog:Retired