Imagine having high tea somewhere warm, seated beneath a banana tree, next to a pineapple, among the orchids and still have it be a Minnesota afternoon in December.
The Como Park Conservatory (St. Paul, MN) offered us such a place of respite from the cold. What a treat. I was especially happy to have achance to wear my hat, be with friends and catch the annual Poinsettia display.
A new poinsettia variety Jingle Bell Rock caught my attention.
A variety of delectable treats were served setting the stage for
Appetizers Part Two.
What a fun way to celebrate Emily Dickinson's birthday.
The following recipes were previously posted on Ever Ready.
Pesto Cheese Tarts
Recipe from Taste of Home makes 15 appetizers
- 2/3 cup diced tomatoes, patted dry on a paper towel
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 5 TB. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. prepared pesto
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 package (1.9 oz.) frozen miniature phyllo tart shells
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, mayonnaise, cheeses, pesto and pepper.
- Spoon heaping teaspoonfuls into tart shells. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Top with a halved cherry tomato. Recipe makes 15 appetizers.
Curried Chicken Salad Topped With A BlackberryNote that curry powder is strong so start out small.
- Mini Phyllo shells (used Athena brand)
- Cooked chicken breasts
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- chopped celery
- chopped onion
- finely chopped walnuts
- Miracle Whip
- In Cuisinart finely chop nuts, chicken and onion.
- Place chicken mixture in bowl. add finely chopped celery and curry powder.
- Add only enough Miracle Whip just until mixture is moistened.
- Bake shells on a cookie sheet for 3 minutes-let cool.
- Use a teaspoon to fill each shell with chicken salad and top with a blackberry.
Cranberry Feta Pinwheels
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3-1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
- 4/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 pkg dried sweetened cranberries
- 2-3 TB. half and half
- 4 spinach tortillas (I used Mission brand garden spinach and herbs)
- In a food processor pulse feta cheese 3 times.
- In a medium sized bowl add feta cheese, cream cheese, herbes de provence,onions and half and half.
- Beat and stir in cranberries and walnuts by hand.
- Divide and spread cream cheese mixture evenly between four spinach tortillas.
- Roll tightly, wrap in clear plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one hour.
- To serve, cut into approximately 12 slices.