Quote from "The Book Thief"A post not to miss! An impressive list with some authors winning in both categories.
If you scroll all the way down on the list you will see that Nancy Plain, author of "This Strange The Life and Art of John James Audubon" was mentioned as a finalist in the Non-Fiction Awards.
Her book was reviewed last spring on Ever Ready.
Let's celebrate all the winners and finalists with a plate of Almond Sugar Cookies.
Cook's notes: Recipe makes 18 but depends on the size of the cookie cutter and how thin dough is rolled.
Cooking tip: Make sure wax paper stays well floured while rolling dough out and cookie cutter.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. each vanilla and almond extract
- Cream butter and sugar, blend in egg, water, vanilla and almond extract.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder.
- Beat butter mixture with flour mixture. It may be necessary to knead dough by adding in more flour to form ball.
- Wrap dough in wax paper and put in freezer for a 1/2 hour until slightly chilled.
- Roll dough out on floured surfaces using a cookie cutter for desired shapes.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cookies on baking pan.
- Bake 375 for 8 minutes or until slightly brown on bottom
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 TB melted butter
- 2 TB. Amaretto
- drops of red food coloring
- Beat ingredients until desired frosting consistency.
- Add more milk by tablespoons if needed.