Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Cook's notes: You just never know what you will encounter on a sunny afternoon walk.
Take for instance this bowl sitting outside on the sidewalk.
These fresh lemons must have just been picked from a tree as they looked and smelled better than anything I've ever bought from a grocery store. It was a sign I need to try this recipe from cookingclassy.com especially when a local grocery store advertised a pint of blueberries at an unbelievable price of $.97Recipe makes 10 standard muffins.
- 1- 2/3 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 TB. sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 TB. Saigon cinnamon or 2 tsp. regular cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TB. lemon zest
- 4 TB. butter, softened
- 4 TB. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (low-fat)
- 1/2 cup sour cream(lite)
- 3 TB. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1-2 TB. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl coat blueberries with 1/2 tsp.cinnamon and 3 TB. sugar set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, set aside.
- Add sugar to the bowl with lemon zest. Use your fingertips rub zest with sugar for about 1 minute. Add butter and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, whip mixture until pale and fluffy. Mix in remaining 3 tablespoons vegetable oil. Blend in eggs one at a time.
- In a bowl whisk together buttermilk, sour cream and lemon juice. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and fold until nearly combined, then add 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and fold until nearly combined. Repeat process with flour and buttermilk mixtures once more. Then fold in blueberries but don't over-mix.
- Divide batter among paper lined-muffin cups filling with about a 1/3 cup in each. Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out free of batter. Remove muffins from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Mix glaze ingredient's in a small bowl to blend well (you may want to add a little more lemon juice 1/2 tsp at a time as needed). Brush over tops of cooled muffins and let set at room temperature. Store muffins in an airtight container.