Night SkyThe night sky with a full moon over the Santa Rita Mountains near a golf course certainly caught my attention.
Advice from the Night Sky
See the big picture
Be a star
Keep looking up
Don't be afraid of the dark
Stay full of wonder
Expand your horizons
Turn off the lights
George Washington February 22, 1732
- Washington was the only president to be elected unanimously.
- Washington became known as "the father of his country."
- Washington was the only president inaugurated in 2 cities - New York and Philadelphia.
- Washington was the only president that did not live in the White House. He was involved in the planning of the Capitol.
- Washington did his own bookkeeping and recorded every penny of expense in a ledger that is still available today.
- His inaugural address was the shortest inaugural address in U.S. history: It was only 133 words long and took him just 90 seconds to deliver.
- He lost all of his teeth except for one by — according to second president John Adams — cracking Brazilian nuts between his jaws. He got dentures made out of a hippopotamus tusk, designed especially to fit over his one remaining real tooth. But the hippo dentures were constantly rubbing against that real tooth so that he was constantly in pain. He used opium to alleviate the pain.
- He snored very loudly, and instead of wearing a powdered wig like other fashionable people, he put powder on his own hair, which was naturally a reddish brown.
- He was not at good at spelling and he had a speech impediment.