Colcannon with Kale and Cheddar
Cook's notes: Recipe adapted from cuisineathome.com April 2016 and serves 4-6.
- 1-1/2 lbs. red potatoes or Yukon Golds, halved and cubed
- 1 cup diced green cabbage
- 1 cup finely chopped kale
- 2- TB. butter, divided
- 3/4 -1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 1/2 cup warmed half and half
- 1-1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 TB. dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover potatoes with water and cook until fork tender about 15 minutes.
- In a fry pan melt 1 TB. butter and saute onions, cabbage and kale until limp but not too soggy, stirring frequently.
- Drain potatoes and return back to pan. Add sauteed mixture, half and half, cheese, parsley flakes and 1 TB. butter.
- Use a hand mixer and beat until smooth. May need to add more cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 1/4 cup Draught Guinness. room temperature
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup aged white cheddar, shredded
- cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pie crust, rolled out and fitted to a pie plate, chilling in the fridge
- Cook the bacon in a fry pan over medium heat until crispy. Set aside on paper towels to drain reserving 1 TB. grease in the pan.
- Add the onions to the fry pan and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in 1/4 cup Guinness and simmer until the liquid has mostly evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the grainy mustard, 1 tsp. parsley flakes, Worcestershire sauce and place in a large bowl.
- Mix in the bacon, cream, beaten eggs and 1/2 of the cheese and season with cayenne, salt and pepper. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour the mixture into a chilled pie crust and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degrees or until golden brown on top and set in the center, about 25-30 minutes.