Spring Has Sprung
This succulent, savory vegetable contains a stimulating blend of nutrients, making this a fantastic food for your health. Whether it's grilled, roasted, or baked, asparagus is a refreshing way to add flavor and nutrients to any meal. And with so many ways to prepare asparagus, the variety of recipes seems endless. This tender veggie adds sophistication as a side dish, an appetizer, or part of your main course.A family favorite-Ham and Asparagus Quiche
Cook's notes: I started with a basic recipe from Midwest Living April 2014 and went from there. I substituted white cheddar for the yellow cheddar cheese but Swiss cheese can also be used. Torn spinach leaves (1/2 cup) can be substituted for ham cubes and the quiche makes a great vegetarian meal. Recipes makes 2 small quiches.
- 1 package Pillsbury rolled refrigerated pie crusts (2 in a box)
- 1 tsp. each dried parsley flakes, dry mustard and herbes de Provence
- 3/4 cup diced ham
- 6 oz. asparagus spears cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1/2 cup green onions or leeks
- 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Let pie crust stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place each pie crust in a pie pan, crimp edges.
- Line pastry shell with 2 sheets of foil (blind baking) overlap the foil so edges will extend over the pie pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes, remove foil and bake 3 minutes more.
- Mix in a blender eggs, cream, half and half and spices.
- Bring salted water to a boil, add asparagus, boil 1 minute. drain and pat dry.
- Brush bottom crusts with Dijon mustard.
- Divide the cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese between both pie pans.
- Divide the onion, ham and chopped asparagus spears between two pans
- Tear foil strips and place around the outside edges of each pan to avoid over browning.
- Divide filling and slowly pour into prepared pie pans.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce to 300 degrees and bake 30 minutes more.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Freeze the extra cooled quiche.