Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Monday, April 25, 2016

A Healthy Start

A healthy start to the week with a wrapped salad. And since the rain seems relentless after many days I had to go find my own sunshine!
The beloved strawberry, avocado, green onions and chicken salad gets a makeover thanks to The Pioneer Woman-Ree Drummond. 
My salad was made with mixed greens, sliced strawberries, sliced avocados, cooked chicken, toasted pecans, grated white cheddar drizzled with balsamic dressing. Ree went for using the same ingredients but added a flour tortilla to make a wrap. What a creative and easy transformation.  
Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Salad Wrap
Cook's notes: A twist on your favorite chicken strawberry salad by Ree Drummond
Ingredients:
  • 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
  • 1 (12 oz. ) package mixed salad greens
  • 12 whole medium strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 4 whole green onions,sliced (white and light green parts)
  • 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
  • 4 oz. goat cheese crumbled
  • 6 whole large whole wheat tortillas
Directions:
  • Place the chicken breasts in a large plastic storage bag. Seal the bag, leaving a small opening, then use a rolling pin to pound the breasts until they're a uniform thickness. Pour in half the balsamic vinaigrette, then seal the bag and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
  • After the chicken has marinated, grill it until it's done in the middle, about 5 minutes per side or bake in the oven. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Dice up the chicken when it's cool enough to handle. 
  • Add the salad greens to a large bowl. Add half of the remaining dressing and toss it to coat the greens. Add more if it needs it. Add the strawberries, chicken, green onions, and pecans. Toss it gently a few times until it's all combined. Top with crumbled goat cheese and toss a couple more times. 
  • Place an equal amount of salad down the middle of each tortilla. Roll up, then slice in half. 
  • Serve the wraps with chips, extra strawberries and a few rainy day poems.
Rain 
by Shel Silverstein

I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.


April Rain Song
by Langston Hughes

Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain sing you a lullaby.

The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk.
The rain makes running pools in the gutter.
The rain plays a little sleep-song on our roof at night—

And I love the rain.

1 comment:

  1. Those wraps sound delicious.

    The poems are perfect for this week.

    ReplyDelete

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...